Payroll FAQ

Why should I use managed payroll bureau service?

It is the responsibility of all employers to ensure that they remain compliant with payroll regulations.  For example you will need to know how to process starters and leavers, how to generate P45’s, how to process student loan deductions, court orders and calculate things like the threshold recovery of Statutory Sick Pay and SMP and ensure the correct amount of tax and National Insurance contributions get paid to the Inland Revenue. All of these things have highly complex rules and regulations.  We can do all of this for you leaving you to concentrate on other things.

By appointing us as your payroll agent all changes to employees' tax codes student loans etc are sent by HMRC directly to us to be implemented. We provide a telephone helpline and will deal with any visits by Tax inspectors.

What is included in your Payroll service?

We provide a complete payroll service that is totally reliable.  We use the latest computer systems and ensure the security and integrity of your payroll data.  We can provide a service from timesheet through to payment encompassing all manner of payment deductions.  We can make payments direct to bank, as a registered BACS bureau, thus saving time, reducing paperwork and transaction costs.  We can produce cash analyses, cheque lists, pay your PAYE / NI and produce all manner of reports in paper or electronic formats. 

In short – we will handle all your payroll needs.

What information must I have from a new employee before I pay them?

You will require the new employees:

  • Full name;

  • Date of birth;
  • Home address;
  • National Insurance Number;
  • Identification such as passport or driving licence and proof of address by seeing a utility bill or similar proof;
  • A copy of the employees P45 or completed P46/P38(S).

If an employee is a foreign national you should satisfy yourself they have permission to be employed in the United Kingdom. This can be checked by contacting the Department of Work & Pensions for advice.

What do I do if the employee doesn’t have a P45?

Your employee should complete AND sign the declaration on form P46. If the employee is a student in full time education and is working during their holiday periods only, then they should complete a Student Declaration called a P38(S).

What do I do if my employee has not got a National Insurance number?

If they have never been issued a National Insurance number they visit their local Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for an interview. More information can be found on the DWP website.

If they lost their National Insurance Number, the Inland Revenue will search for it on receipt of a completed form CA5403.  If in doubt you can ring their help line 0845 915 7006.

Why is using the Payroll Business Solutions Ltd an improvement on my current in-house system?

Our experienced and qualified payroll staff will ensure that your payroll is processed accurately and on time. In addition all our payroll staff work in teams so the processing of your payroll is not interrupted by absenteeism or holidays.

How long would it take to set up the payroll?

This can depend upon a number of factors such as the size and frequency of your payroll and your current set up.  As a rule of thumb we usually require 2/3 weeks, which gives us time to conduct a parallel run if required and thoroughly check all the information supplied.

Do I have to wait until the end of the tax year in April to change over?

No, we take on new payroll clients throughout the year and have the skills, knowledge and experience to transfer your payroll at any time of the year.

How much work will be involved for me?

A minimal amount of work is required from our clients to ensure they have an accurate payroll processed on time. We will only require you to inform us of any changes to the payroll and authorisation once you are happy with everything.

What happens if we want to change something after the payroll has been run?

All you have to do is tell us what changes need to be made and we will recalculate the payslip(s) concerned and send you adjusted payslips and reports. You will however be required to pay the usual fee for processing the payroll so please try to ensure your figures are accurate! In the unlikely event that we make an error, your payroll be re-run without charge.

Plummer Parsons

Plummer Parsons